It has become increasingly important for organisations to use an effective tool for the successful execution of their business strategy. This is where OKRs (Objectives and Key Results), come into play. OKRs is a collaborative goal-setting methodology used by teams and individuals to set challenging, ambitious goals with measurable results. Used correctly, OKRs help teams track progress, create alignment, and encourage engagement around quantifiable goals.
Implementing OKRs for the first time is no mean feat. More often than not, you will need to consult external expert advice and assistance. If implemented incorrectly, this can be costly to your business in terms of time, resources, engagement and reputation.
What are the benefits of using an OKR consultancy?
- You will have less exposure to risks – by using an expert in all things OKRs, you will have less exposure to risks than you would have if going it alone. You expect to make significant mistakes when doing something for the first time. However, having a team of experts coaching you can help you avoid many common mistakes. The experts have seen it all before and will know how to avoid mistakes they see all the time.
- Ongoing support – Many OKR consultancies offer continuing support, even after your OKRs are set up and running. Should you encounter a bump in the road, you can turn to them for help – you can certainly do so with There Be Giants. At TBG, we support teams through a complete cycle that includes check-ins and reflections.
- OKR training – For the highest chance of impactful OKR longevity, you’ll need internal OKR superstars to help you craft high-quality OKRs, maintain real traction and encourage a healthy culture within your organisation. For OKRs to thrive, your employees must be on board too and understand why and how you will use OKRs. As with any strategy, you must get them enthusiastic about setting OKRs. They have to learn the importance of your goals and the steps to achieve them. An OKR consultant can train your teams to ensure OKRs thrive. Here at TBG, we provide the highest quality OKR training to develop in-house expertise that ensures longevity and momentum.
- An outside perspective – By enlisting support from an outside consultancy, you can benefit from an external perspective on your strategic goals.
When should you consider using an OKR consultancy?
- You’re struggling to get buy-in from senior leadership for your OKRs – this is a common occurrence and something that any OKR consultancy can support you with/
- You’re having trouble getting started with OKRs.- if you’re new to OKRs, knowing where to start and what process to follow can be daunting. It’s not as simple as picking up an OKR book and giving it a go yourself – believe us…it’s not!
- You don’t have the internal resources to dedicate to OKRs – As we’ve said before, OKRs are no mean feat. You need to dedicate time and resources to them. If this isn’t something you have, it’s a good idea to bring in expertise to help smooth this process.
- You need help communicating and cascading OKRs throughout the organisation. – OKRs are best-used cross-functionally as opposed to a top-down approach, this can be challenged for some teams that don’t ordinarily set goals this way.
Introducing OKRs and setting ambitious goals can be somewhat daunting for many organisations. This new way of working can cause unease and create a cultural shift that not everyone is likely to feel comfortable with. You need to ensure your OKR implementation is thoroughly thought through and planned, and you may prefer to have an OKR consultant by your side whilst you do this.
At TBG we’re absolute OKR geeks, which is why we’ve made it our mission to decode and simplify OKRs for those who are serious about using them. Get in touch with our team if you’re looking to increase revenue, visibility, engagement or performance, and our expert team can work with you to create bespoke goals.